Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why learn? Why study?

As a teacher, every now and then, I find myself giving sermons to the students, especially when I notice a lack of enthusiasm or effort on their part. So, what do I tell them? (I hope this list is going to grow by the way...!).

- the joy to discover as the root or main motivator for learning. It's that curiousity and enjoyment to discover the many domains of knowledge that seem endless.
- the privilege to glorify God with our whole being, even with our thinking cap! I think this gives him joy too.
- the desire to improve oneself is a great virtue.
- the need for discipline, and good old fashioned 'hard work' (that's the link between learning and studying). Since I was an athlete back in the old days, I often talk about training seriously before matches, and having a coach who keeps on the right track. (I'm their coach.)
- the duty to learn and study for others, those who might benefit from our work.

If these sermonettes don't work, the weekly Greek quizzes often do! Yes, for some reason some of us need that extra push to pick up our books and discover, review and even master the basics to move on to greater things (like moving from Greek 1 to the actual reading of the New Testament). I enjoy teaching, because it allows me to help others discover, and, gratefully, it allows me to continue to discover new things!

No comments:

Pages